Employment Opportunity: Heartland Is Hiring an Asset Management Sr. Portfolio Accountant -POSITION FILLED
Position filled, please check back for additional opportunities to join the Heartland team.
Heartland is currently seeking candidates for a full time Asset Management Sr. Portfolio Accountant. (FLSA Status: Exempt)
Asset Management Sr. Portfolio Accountant Opportunity Overview
We love what we do. We love real estate. We love supporting organizations, companies, and families. We love creating multiple levels of value and positively influencing the future.
The Asset Management Sr. Portfolio Accountant position is an opportunity to:
- Lead the creation and refinement of the Sr. Portfolio Accountant position
- Manage third-party property accounting and accounting relationships.
- Lead, grow, and scale accounting team and processes as the asset management portfolio grows.
About Heartland LLC
Heartland LLC (“Heartland”) is a Seattle-based real estate advisory and investment firm with over 35 years of experience creating value for clients, including families and family-owned businesses, non-profit organizations, corporations, and real estate development, investment, and operating companies. Heartland combines strategy development and analytical rigor with execution capabilities in real estate brokerage, asset management, capital markets, and development services to positively impact the communities, organizations, and families with whom we work.
In 2019, Heartland became a majority owned subsidiary of Laird Norton Company. Heartland, on behalf of Laird Norton Properties (LNP), the wholly owned real estate subsidiary of Laird Norton Company, a seventh-generation family enterprise, provides comprehensive asset management services for the company’s 16-asset, ~2M square foot office and multifamily portfolio across 5 markets: Seattle, Boise, Salt Lake City, Denver and Portland. Heartland focuses on mitigating risk and unlocking value within the existing portfolio.
Click here for more information about what we do at Heartland.
Asset Management Sr. Portfolio Accountant
The Asset Management Sr. Portfolio Accountant (“AM SR PA”) will be responsible for supporting the management of a portfolio of office and multifamily assets and will be responsible for:
- Collaborating with Heartland Asset Managers to drive business results
- Collaborating with Client/Owner accounting professionals to meet reporting and controls requirements
- Coordinating and facilitating annual audit responses for Clients/Owners that require audited financials
- Acting as the liaison with third-party property management and accounting firms for the delivery of timely and accurate property-level accounting reports
- Preparing Lender reports and monitoring debt covenants and calculations
- Establishing and following controls and procedures for Asset Management accounting
- Creating and refining systems and processes to increase transparency, efficiency and accuracy for both Heartland AM team and Client/Owner teams
- Providing QA/QC
- Owner distributions and requests for contributions
Portfolio Asset Management Reporting
- Support preparation of quarterly and annual Asset Management Reports, including leadership dashboard
Monthly Accounting Close
- Review and coordinate monthly Accounting close with third-party Property Management and Property Accounting Teams for all properties under management by Heartland AM Teams and close property financials
Software Support for PM Accounting
- First line support for Property Managers and PM Accountants with respect to application of owner accounting guidelines and procedures as well as issues arising from application of relevant software tools (e.g., Yardi, Kardin)
Lender & Debt Reporting
- Oversight and responsibility of lender reporting process including required financial reporting and financial debt covenants as well as assistance with lender reimbursements and reserves
Annual Budget and Reforecast Review
- In close collaboration with Asset Management and Property Management teams, provide support and oversight of the annual budget and reforecast process
Property Tax Compliance
- Assist PM teams and Asset Managers to ensure real estate tax payments are made on time, appealed as needed, and that Lender escrows are properly applied
In addition to the aforementioned responsibilities, provide assistance with or oversight of the following:
- Lease audits
- Annual financial audits
- File management
Educational & Professional Experience Requirements
- Minimum of 4-6 years of accounting with 3+ years of commercial real estate accounting experience with specific exposure to office and multifamily property types
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent
- Advanced knowledge of Yardi and Kardin
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP
Key Skills & Competencies
- General understanding of commercial real estate finance, leasing, accounting, and property operations
- Understanding of GAAP financial statements, real estate and accrual basis accounting, valuation principles, and the property budget process
- Excellent written, verbal, and quantitative communication skills
- Strong analytical, accounting, and critical thinking skills
- Able to probe, ask thoughtful questions, and dig beneath the surface to test the validity and relevance of information and systems
- Able to manage multiple competing priorities and meet delivery deadlines
- Able to successfully work in a team-oriented environment and partner with internal colleagues, external clients, partners and vendors, and cross-functional groups
- Comfort level with the technology used to aid in collaboration, communication, and documentation
Ideal Candidate Qualities
Our ideal candidate(s) will have a strong compatibility with Heartland culture in terms of intellectual curiosity, team-oriented nature, problem-solving capacity, desire to learn new skills as projects demand, a focus on high-quality work product, and ability to work in a fluid, fast-paced environment.
- High level of integrity
- Strong work ethic
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Organized, structured, and thorough
- Ability to learn, be flexible, and adapt quickly
- Desire to work with clients
- Team oriented
Reporting, Supervisory & Collaboration Responsibilities
- Reports to Director of Asset Management
- Collaborates daily with the broader Asset Management team, in particular the Asset Managers directly responsible for Client/Owner assets
- Collaborates with and provides guidance to third-party Property Management and accounting firms in respects to all aspects of the property-level accounting deliverables.
- Interacts regularly with Client/Owner staff and personnel in a client service context
Some travel may be required on a limited basis.
Hybrid Work Expectations
This is a full-time position based in Seattle, Washington. Heartland currently has a hybrid work policy, which includes the ability to work remotely within the State of Washington and an expectation of 2-3 days in office with clients and internal teams, site visits, etc. within the parameters of Heartland’s COVID protocols as well as applicable law. The hybrid work policy will continue to evolve over time.
The salary range for this position will range from $90,000-$120,000 per year and will be dependent upon multiple factors including experience and existing skill sets.
- 401(k) plan
- Life and disability coverage
- Potential for discretionary annual bonuses
- Vacation, sick leave, and holidays
- Company supplied equipment for home office
- Qualified Transportation Plan program
- Charitable Matching Gift Program
- Health and Fitness Reimbursement program
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Efforts
We are an equal opportunity employer. We recognize that our mission and values are best advanced by the leadership and contributions of individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our region’s diversity is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status, or other status protected by law.
As advisors by trade, we know that innovative solutions emerge from unique perspectives, experiences, and identities. As such, our team and our partners are our life force. We encourage employees to get involved and to feel comfortable voicing their opinions and sharing their ideas; our goal is for everyone to feel and be heard, included, and acknowledged. To that end, we are committed to continue working to become a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. We know it is a journey and while we may not get it right all the time, we are committed to listening and learning in order to effect change in our organization and beyond.
Heartland has an employee vaccination policy in effect and, if hired, any applicant must provide appropriate evidence of full vaccination prior to his or her agreed start date unless otherwise prohibited by applicable controlling state or local law and subject to any applicable religious or medical exemptions required by applicable law.
Application Process & Contact Information
Applications accepted on rolling basis
To apply, please send a Cover Letter and Résumé to:
Carrie Christensen, Operations Manager