Position filled, please check back for additional opportunities to join the Heartland team.
Heartland is seeking candidates for a full time Controller position (FLSA Status: Exempt).
See details below for information about the position and how to apply.
Heartland LLC is a Seattle-based real estate advisory and investment firm with over 35 years of experience creating value for clients, including families and family-owned businesses, non-profit organizations, corporations, and real estate development, investment and operating companies. Heartland combines strategy development and analytical rigor with execution capabilities in real estate brokerage, asset management, capital markets, and development services to positively impact the communities, organizations and families with whom we work. In 2019, Heartland merged with Laird Norton Properties (“LNP”) to create a unique, multi-faceted and fully integrated business and real estate enterprise.
The Heartland Controller is accountable for the accounting operations of Heartland LLC (and related LLCs), including the production of timely financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records and a comprehensive set of internal controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk and ensure that reported results comply with GAAP. In addition, the Controller is responsible for cash management and risk management and has overlap in many human resource-related functions.
Specifically, the tasks and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains and enforces a documented system of accounting policies, procedures, and internal controls
- Manages outsourced functions (e.g. payroll, 401K administration, tax preparation, health care, etc.)
- Oversees the accounting operations of related entities, especially their control systems, transaction-processing operations, and policies and procedures
- Ensure that payables and required debt payments are paid in a timely manner
- Ensure that all reasonable discounts are taken on payables
- Prepare and issue invoices, including pulling employee time data and expense reports
- Ensure that receivables are collected promptly
- Process payroll through ADP in a timely manner
- Ensure that all general ledger account reconciliations are completed on a timely basis
- Process ACH and wire transactions
- Ensure that monthly bank reconciliations and credit card reconciliations are completed on a timely basis
- Maintain the chart of accounts
- Maintain accounting and time keeping systems
- Prepare investor distributions across all entities
- Understanding of legal terminology
- Experience with Zoom or Microsoft Teams
- Issue timely and accurate GAAP basis monthly financial statements
- Coordinate the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to Management, lenders, Board of Directors
- Work with Management to develop benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts
- Analyze variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
- Provide financial analyses as needed
- Coordinate the provision of information to LN as requested and external auditors for the LN consolidated annual audit
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Administer Payroll and ensure compliance with deduction and remittances
- Administer 401(K)
- Administer Employee Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance Plans and renewals and Employee Flexible Spending Reimbursement Accounts
- Administer Qualified Transportation, Donations, Healthy Living benefits
- Administer/Coordinate with Ownership on Life and Disability Insurance
- Track and report on Employee Vacation and Sick Leave Hours
- Coordinate Employee Hiring and Termination Packages
- Coordinate and administer New Employee on boarding paperwork
- Labor and Industry Compliance
Key Skills & Competencies
- In-depth knowledge of GAAP
- Able to successfully work in a team-oriented environment and partner with internal colleagues and external suppliers
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- High comfort level with the technology used to aid in collaboration, communication, and documentation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Harvest (time keeping and invoicing)
- Office 365 (including Excel, Teams and SharePoint)
- ADP (payroll)
- Online banking
- Online bill pay (various systems)
- Yardi (beneficial, but not required)
Educational & Professional Experience Requirements
- Minimum of 3-5 years financial management experience, preferably in the real estate industry and/or client services.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required
- CPA or CMA also beneficial
Our ideal candidate will have a strong compatibility with Heartland culture in terms of intellectual curiosity, team-oriented nature, problem-solving capacity, desire to learn new skills as projects demand, a focus on high-quality work product, and ability to work in a fluid, fast-paced environment.
- High level of integrity
- Proactive self-starter with ability to both take direction and also set own action plan
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and meet delivery deadlines
- Ability to work effectively both independently and within teams
- Ability to probe, ask the right questions, and dig beneath the surface to test the validity of information
- Ability to think critically, solve problems and make well-reasoned business decisions
- Positive attitude
- Strong work ethic
- Interdisciplinary capabilities
- Ability to interact with clients
- Superior attention to detail
- Ability to focus on a variety of tasks simultaneously
- Team orientation
Reporting, Supervisory & Collaboration Responsibilities
- Reports to Senior Management
- Collaborates with internal personnel
- Collaborates with client personnel
- Collaborates with Laird Norton
Market appropriate; experience and skills considered, comprehensive benefits package included.
This is a full-time, office-based position. In light of the current situation regarding COVID-19, all employees have been given the opportunity to work remotely. Once the company makes the decision to return to the office, the position will be expected to be in the office full time or a hybrid model combining remote and in-office time. Please note that there may be times during remote work where the candidate will be required to go to the office to perform certain tasks. In these instances, all safety protocols will be adhered to.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Efforts
We are an equal opportunity employer. We recognize that our mission and values are best advanced by the leadership and contributions of individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our region’s diversity is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status, or other status protected by law.
As advisors by trade, we know that innovative solutions emerge from unique perspectives, experiences and identities. As such, our team and our partners are our life force. We encourage employees to get involved and to feel comfortable voicing their opinions and sharing their ideas; our goal is for everyone to feel and be heard, included and acknowledged. To that end, we are committed to continue working to become a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. We know it is a journey and while we may not get it right all the time, we are committed to listening and learning in order to effect change in our organization and beyond.
Application Process & Contact Information
Applications shall include the following:
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and should be sent via email to:
Carrie Christensen, Project Administrator / Marketing Coordinator