Heartland is seeking candidates for a full time Asset Management Analyst position (FLSA Status: Exempt).
See details below for information about the position and how to apply.
Heartland LLC is a Seattle-based real estate advisory and investment firm with over 35 years of experience creating value for clients, including families and family-owned businesses, non-profit organizations, corporations, and real estate development, investment and operating companies. Heartland combines strategy development and analytical rigor with execution capabilities in real estate brokerage, asset management, capital markets, and development services to positively impact the communities, organizations and families with whom we work. In 2019, Heartland merged with Laird Norton Properties (“LNP”) to create a unique, multi-faceted and fully integrated business and real estate enterprise.
Heartland, on behalf of Laird Norton Properties (LNP), the real estate division of Laird Norton Company, a seven-generation family enterprise, provides comprehensive asset management services for the company’s growing portfolio of commercial and multifamily assets located across 5 markets: Seattle, Boise, Salt Lake City, Denver and Portland. Heartland focuses on mitigating risk and unlocking value within the existing portfolio and is also responsible for identifying and executing new opportunities on behalf of LNP.
The Asset Management Analyst will:
- Create and maintain cash flow valuation models in Argus and Excel, performing periodic hold/sell analyses
- Review and analyze proposed leasing transactions – both new leases and renewals – to summarize and compare contract terms and provide insight into tenant credit worthiness
- Provide oversight and direction to property management teams, including property management accountants, to assure accuracy of management information such as rent rolls and financial statements
- Analyze historical and current period financial statements, together with annual budgets and reforecasts, for variance and trends
- Review and analyze property management and construction management fee and brokerage commission calculations
- Review and confirm accuracy of annual CAM reconciliations for office and retail properties
- Conduct market research and analysis related to operational metrics such as rent levels, competitive performance, capital markets activity, and development pipeline
- Create sensitivity and scenario analyses to inform redevelopment decisions
- Support acquisitions, financing activities, and dispositions with cash flow modeling, valuation, scenario analyses, due diligence, and Q&A
- Help maintain accurate and complete data records for all client properties, including filing and tagging documents in SharePoint
- Coordinate, assemble, and distribute materials to third-party service providers for annual appraisals
- Prepare written narratives and financial tables and charts for use in management and investor reporting, including quarterly and annual reports
- Assist AM team with special projects
Educational & Professional Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Real Estate, Finance, Accounting, or related field
- 2+ years of commercial real estate experience with a focus in finance or accounting
- Advanced knowledge of Excel including building models and templates for other users; Argus experience strongly preferred
- Comfortable with running reports and ledgers in Yardi and Kardin
Key Skills & Competencies
- General understanding of commercial real estate finance, leasing, accounting, and property operations
- Understanding of financial statements, real estate and accrual basis accounting, valuation principles, and the property budget process
- Strong analytical, accounting and critical thinking skills
- Excellent written, verbal, and quantitative communication skills
- Able to probe, ask thoughtful questions, and dig beneath the surface to test the validity and relevance of information
- Able to manage multiple competing priorities and meet delivery deadlines
- Able to successfully work in a team-oriented environment and partner with internal colleagues, external suppliers, and cross-functional groups
- Comfort level with the technology used to aid in collaboration, communication, and documentation
Ideal Candidate Qualities
Our ideal candidate(s) will have a strong compatibility with Heartland culture in terms of intellectual curiosity, team-oriented nature, problem-solving capacity, desire to learn new skills as projects demand, a focus on high-quality work product, and ability to work in a fluid, fast-paced environment.
- High level of integrity
- Strong work ethic
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Organized, structured, and thorough
- Ability to learn, be flexible, and adapt quickly
- Desire to work with clients
- Team oriented
Reporting & Collaboration Responsibilities
- Reports to Director of Asset Management
- Collaborates daily with the broader asset management team, in particular the asset managers directly responsible for client assets
- Collaborates regularly with client accounting, property-level teams, including third-party property managers, property accounting teams, leasing brokers, etc.
- Interacts regularly with client staff and personnel in a client service context
Travel required to appropriately serve the client assets and maintain intimate knowledge of the markets.
Market appropriate; experience and skills considered, comprehensive benefits package included.
This is a full-time, office-based position. In light of the current situation regarding COVID-19, all employees have been given the opportunity to work remotely. Once the company makes the decision to return to the office, the position may be performed remotely in one of our core markets, or under a hybrid model combining remote and in-person work.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Efforts
We are an equal opportunity employer. We recognize that our mission and values are best advanced by the leadership and contributions of individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs, and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our region’s diversity is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status, or other status protected by law.
As advisors by trade, we know that innovative solutions emerge from unique perspectives, experiences and identities. As such, our team and our partners are our life force. We encourage employees to get involved and to feel comfortable voicing their opinions and sharing their ideas; our goal is for everyone to feel and be heard, included and acknowledged. To that end, we are committed to continue working to become a more diverse, equitable and inclusive organization. We know it is a journey and while we may not get it right all the time, we are committed to listening and learning in order to effect change in our organization and beyond.
Application Process & Contact Information
Applications shall include the following:
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and should be sent via email to:
Carrie Christensen, Project Administrator / Marketing Coordinator